Saturday, May 1, 2010

Grafton Gazebo 5 miler (plus 3!) = 8 mile long run!

Grafton, the town next to mine, hosts a yearly 5 mile race the first Sunday of May - the Grafton Gazebo 5-Mile. For one reason or another I have not ever been able to participate for the 4 years that we have lived here. This year was the exception though!
The Grafton Gazebo!
(Photo credit to: Paul Keleher, uploaded from Flickr)
My half marathon training (see the plan I am following here) called for an 8-mile long run this weekend. The start of the race is 2.5 miles from my house, so with a little round-about run DOWN to the start, I was able to make this an 8-miler! (Yay! I didn't have to run back UP my dreaded hill!)

I drove down to pick up my number and t-shirt at 8:30. My friend Katie, who is also running the half with me on Memorial Day weekend, met me at my house around 9 and we were out the door by 9:20. We both average around 9:30 - 10 minute miles, but we wanted to leave a little extra time to get there, use the bathroom, and get over to the start. It was perfect timing! We ran the first 3 miles in just about 30 minutes and only had to stand around for about 3 minutes before we started again!

I knew that the course was going to be hilly and Katie and I can never seem to stop talking when we are together, so I knew this was not going to be a speedy run, which I was fine with. If I can have someone else to run 8 with, I'll go whatever speed I need to! So we were off, running up and down the hills, chatting away, and we finished the 5 miles in 55 minutes and some change.
Here we are rounding the corner to the finish! My little guy was standing there clapping for us - so cute!! :)
So probably the easiest 8 miles I have ever ran (we both agreed on this!) and did it in 1:25 (10:38 pace). Hopefully we can meet up to do our 9 and/or 10 mile runs together before the half!
Ok, the little guy is napping, time to go do some mulch! Enjoy the weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment