Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Running on Fumes

As a runner, I know the importance of nutrition. As a health care professional, I know the importance of nutrition. Today I was slapped in the face by the importance of nutrition.

After being laid up for 2 days with the stomach bug and not eating much besides popcicles and toast, I took yesterday to try to get my eating back in check. I probably only took in around 1200 calories, as my stomach still didn't really feel 100% until the end of the day. This morning I woke up and was actually hungry so I thought I must be better.

I was planning on running 3 miles this morning. Usually I don't eat before just a 3-miler first thing in the morning. Today I had a quick instant breakfast shake, and an hour later I headed out. WOW. My legs felt like lead. So heavy and I didn't even think I was moving forward. My breathing felt fine, and by about 3/4 of a mile, my legs loosened up and I was feeling "normal." I made it a point not to look at my watch during the run - I knew it wouldn't be a great time, but was just glad to be back out.

When I finished my 3 mile loop, I hit "stop" on the watch and looked down. 32:31 WOW. I have been averaging right around 10 minute miles lately, so I was shocked to see this time. Guess those 2 days of toast and popcicles really did a number on my body!

No comments:

Post a Comment