Thursday, October 14, 2010

Virtual 10K Race Results

I think that virtual races are the coolest. You can run them when you want (basically). You can wear headphones, push a baby jogger, etc., and not break any rules. And most of the time, they are for a good cause or with a fun theme.

10.10.10 was a huge race day. There were so many races, since it was a cool date, a day in the fall, and Columbus Day weekend. I was looking forward to running one, but since my sister ran the Chicago Marathon, I was out there cheering her on instead!!!

So when I heard that Jamie at Running Diva Mom was hosting a virtual 10K in honor of 10.10.10, I knew I was in! And I didn't have to run it ON 10.10.10 if I wasn't able to. Perfect!

Since I am working more hours this week to make up for being out on Monday, the only chance I was going to have to get in the 10k (without pushing the stroller, rules or no rules!) was Friday after work, before I picked up the little guy. Then, I watched the news this morning. Apparently, there is a HUGE nor'easter heading this way, starting tonight and lasting all the way until Friday night. Which means my planned 10k would be in the rain and wind tomorrow. No thanks! :)

I called my neighbor this morning to see if she wanted the company of a 2-year-old this morning so I could bang out this run. She said yes, of course (love her!) and off I went.

It was a cool, clear, dry day, the PERFECT running weather. I headed out with my GoLite Hydroclutch and my Ipod tuned to my running mix. It was soooo nice out! It felt great to be out there - this was definitely the farthest I've run in a while. By the end of about 5 miles, my mind and my breathing were still doing great, but my knees and hips just felt heavy. I knew I could make it, but definitely slowed it down A LOT in the last mile or so.


My finish time was 1:07:20 for 6.24 miles, 10:47 pace. Not too bad considering the longest I've run lately is about 4 miles. These are my splits for the approximate mileage (I don't have a garmin, so I was guessing on mile 4...I think I was off a little, but oh well!):

Mile 1 - 10:18
Mile 2 - 10:19
Mile 3 - 10:58
Mile 4(ish) - 9:26
Mile 5(ish) - 11:07
Mile 6 - 12:55 (mostly all uphill back to the house!)
Mile .24 - 2:16

All in all, I am very proud of myself. And I got to do a 10.10.10 race. Sort of :)
Have a great one!
Laura Elaine

3 comments:

  1. Nice job on that! I love the virtual races, they are motivating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and great time, Laura! So cool that your neighbor helped babysit the little guy so that you can fit a run in -- cool neighbor! Thanks for participating in the virtual race. It's all about fitting it in ... when you can! Graet job!

    ReplyDelete