Thursday, October 14, 2010

Virtual 10K Race Results

I think that virtual races are the coolest. You can run them when you want (basically). You can wear headphones, push a baby jogger, etc., and not break any rules. And most of the time, they are for a good cause or with a fun theme.

10.10.10 was a huge race day. There were so many races, since it was a cool date, a day in the fall, and Columbus Day weekend. I was looking forward to running one, but since my sister ran the Chicago Marathon, I was out there cheering her on instead!!!

So when I heard that Jamie at Running Diva Mom was hosting a virtual 10K in honor of 10.10.10, I knew I was in! And I didn't have to run it ON 10.10.10 if I wasn't able to. Perfect!

Since I am working more hours this week to make up for being out on Monday, the only chance I was going to have to get in the 10k (without pushing the stroller, rules or no rules!) was Friday after work, before I picked up the little guy. Then, I watched the news this morning. Apparently, there is a HUGE nor'easter heading this way, starting tonight and lasting all the way until Friday night. Which means my planned 10k would be in the rain and wind tomorrow. No thanks! :)

I called my neighbor this morning to see if she wanted the company of a 2-year-old this morning so I could bang out this run. She said yes, of course (love her!) and off I went.

It was a cool, clear, dry day, the PERFECT running weather. I headed out with my GoLite Hydroclutch and my Ipod tuned to my running mix. It was soooo nice out! It felt great to be out there - this was definitely the farthest I've run in a while. By the end of about 5 miles, my mind and my breathing were still doing great, but my knees and hips just felt heavy. I knew I could make it, but definitely slowed it down A LOT in the last mile or so.


My finish time was 1:07:20 for 6.24 miles, 10:47 pace. Not too bad considering the longest I've run lately is about 4 miles. These are my splits for the approximate mileage (I don't have a garmin, so I was guessing on mile 4...I think I was off a little, but oh well!):

Mile 1 - 10:18
Mile 2 - 10:19
Mile 3 - 10:58
Mile 4(ish) - 9:26
Mile 5(ish) - 11:07
Mile 6 - 12:55 (mostly all uphill back to the house!)
Mile .24 - 2:16

All in all, I am very proud of myself. And I got to do a 10.10.10 race. Sort of :)
Have a great one!
Laura Elaine

4 comments:

  1. Nice job on that! I love the virtual races, they are motivating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and great time, Laura! So cool that your neighbor helped babysit the little guy so that you can fit a run in -- cool neighbor! Thanks for participating in the virtual race. It's all about fitting it in ... when you can! Graet job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to prepare for race so you can buy the Best Treadmill For Home and do practice daily at home.

    ReplyDelete